We’re glad you came to our website. We invite you to come and check us out in person. In the meantime, browse around this website and discover how we’re trying to put God’s love in action. Below are answers to some questions you may have:
There are many kinds of Baptists. What kind are we?
Being Baptist means that we value the four historic freedoms for which Baptists stand –
- Religious freedom. We believe all people should be free to practice their faith without the intervention of governments. Baptists were instrumental in securing the Bill of Rights in the United States Constitution, which guarantees all citizens religious freedom.
- Soul freedom. Baptists believe that every person has the right and privilege to come to God personally and directly.
- Church freedom. Baptist churches cooperate together, but each congregation is an autonomous body, making its own decisions, selecting its own leadership, and following God’s guidance.
- Bible freedom. Baptists historically have affirmed the ability and right of each individual to read and interpret holy scripture for themselves. We do not have a creed, but affirm the historic beliefs of the Christian faith.
As a congregation, we affirm The Baptist Faith and Message adopted in 1963.
We are aligned with the other 1400 churches of the Baptist General Association of Virginia and our local Rappahannock Baptist Association to do missions and ministry together. We also financially support the mission efforts of the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and the Southern Baptist Convention.
What should you expect when you visit on Sunday?
Parking: Off-street parking is available on both sides of the church’s sanctuary and in the Union First Market Bank lot next door. In the church parking lot on the right side of the sanctuary there are two spots reserved for first time guests immediately on your left along with several handicapped spaces as well. There is also plenty of on-street parking on both sides of Chesapeake Drive. A handicap accessible ramp is on the left side of the sanctuary.
Sunday worship service: Our 11:00 am worship service is traditional in style and lasts one hour. Worship is accompanied by organ and piano, a robed choir, and scripture readings from the revised common lectionary. This may sound formal, but our worship also includes a children’s time where boys and girls gather at the front of the sanctuary for a special message and there is warm singing by both choir and congregation. The pastor robes for this service and brings encouraging messages relevant to real life. Don’t be surprised if most people greet you with a smile and a welcoming ‘Hello.’
Childcare: Preschool care is provided for children 4-years and younger during worship. Preschool rooms are located on the ground level to the right of the sanctuary.
How can you become a member?
Persons interested in church membership may join by one of three ways:
- Profession of Faith — If you are not a member of another church, but have made the decision to follow Christ, you may wish to express that commitment publicly. If you are ready to make this decision, or would like guidance in following Christ, please contact the pastor.
- Transfer of Membership – You can join by transferring your membership from another church.
- Statement of Faith – You may affirm that you are a Christian and have been baptized previously. Your former church experience does not have to be Baptist. Our congregation has many members who have joined by statement of faith.
So who are we?
White Stone Baptist Church is a fellowship of followers of Christ who love God and others, and who want to make a difference in our community and world by bringing a bit more of heaven to earth. If this sounds like the kind of church you’re looking for, we invite you to join us for worship, fellowship, or service. Call the church office for more information at 804-435-1413.